Parking as a vital part of city development
In recent years, many Finnish cities have been creating parking strategies and new norms to guide the planning of parking. Setting goals and executing measures have been balancing between a sustainable transport system, dense building, reachability of city centers and residential areas and the needs of economic life. Means to guide parking are always sensitive to create resistance. Bringing long-term goals to practice is challenging and the effects of the measures are not easily evaluated.
Parking system is an integral part of a sustainable transport system. The mean to travel is often chosen at home so the placement of car and bicycle parking and public transport stops has an impact on the chosen modal mode. The car trips to the city center can be reduced with a well-planned park and ride system, and the time it takes to look for a parking spot –that also creates more traffic– can be reduced with a reachable parking system and design.
Designing a parking system is no easy task. Densening city structure, reforming norms, demands of different parties, funding models, winter and many other factors continuously create challenges to be solved by planners and decision makers.
- Clarify the role role of parking as a vital part of a transport system
- Aggregate good principles regarding parking planning
- Improve the development and decision making process of the parking system
- Clarify the role of different parties in planning and governing parking
- Create ideas and discussion regarding implementation of new solutions
- Examine different kinds of parking solutions and concepts which could be suitable in Finland
- Improve the knowledge about parking planing among planners and grow awareness about new parking solutions and effects of parking
- Strengthen the Finnish city network and increase distribution of knowledge between the cities